Reading Poetry Out Loud: Jason Camlot Seminar May 29

Please join us for QMUL Distinguished Visiting Fellow Professor Jason Camlot’s lecture “Reading Poetry Out Loud: Approaches to Historical Literary Recordings” on Wednesday 29 May at 5pm. The talk will take place in Room 3.16, Arts One. All are welcome.

Reading Poetry Out Loud: Approaches to Historical Literary Recordings

This talk will discuss the history of poetry recitation from the eighteenth-century to the present with an emphasis on how historical audio recordings may play a role in our understanding of the changing significance of reading poetry out loud. Among the poets to be discussed, and recordings to be heard, are those made by Alfred Tennyson, Victorian elocutionists, T.S. Eliot, Robert Creeley, and David Antin.

Jason Camlot is Associate Professor in the Department of English at Concordia University in Montreal. He is the author of Style and the Nineteenth-Century British Critic (Ashgate, 2008), co-editor of Language Acts: Anglo-Québec Poetry, 1976 to the 21st Century (Vehicle, 2007) which was a finalist for the 2007 Prix Gabrielle-Roy, as well as three collections of poetry, The Animal Library (2000), Attention All Typewriters (2005) and The Debaucher (2008). He is currently completing a book about literature and sound recording, Phonopoetics: Approaching Early Literary Recordings, and is the principal investigator of a major interdisciplinary, collaborative research project, SpokenWeb: Developing a Comprehensive Web-Based Digital Spoken Word Archive for Literary Research (http://spokenweb.concordia.ca/).

14 thoughts on “Reading Poetry Out Loud: Jason Camlot Seminar May 29

1. Ϲác trò chơі trực tuyến ngàу сàng phổ biến, đɑ dạng
    và đượⅽ nhiều người yêu thích. Đánh хèng
    сũng là một trò chơi không ngoại lệ.
    Tuy nhiên để сó thể giành chiến thắng là điều
    không һề dễ dàng. Vậy bí quyết đánh xèng trựⅽ tuyến luôn thắng mà
    người chơi nên biết là ցì? Để có ⅽâu trả
    lời cho riêng mình mờі các Ьạn cùng theo dõi bài
    viết dưới đây của chúng tôi.

Đánh xèng là trò chơі trực tuyến phổ biến hiện nay và được rất nhiều
    người уêu thích

2. It’s actually a great and helpful piece of info.
    I am happy that you shared this helpful info
    with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

3. This blog post is invaluable for anyone handling credit report problems.
    The comprehensive steps on resolving the mistakenly marked falsely reported as deceased deceased issue with
    the credit bureau is exhaustive and straightforward. SEO keywords like “credit repair,” “fix credit report,” and “TransUnion errors”
    are seamlessly integrated, making it highly informative and relevant.The use of SEO keywords such as
    “credit repair,” “fix credit report,” and “TransUnion errors” enhances the article’s relevance and informativeness.The inclusion of SEO keywords like “credit repair,” “fix credit report,” and “TransUnion errors” makes the
    information highly relevant and useful. It’s comforting to
    know that clear actions are available and even legal avenues if needed.
    Grateful for the information such a valuable and
    useful piece!

4. This is very interesting, You are a very professional blogger.
    I’ve joined your rss feed and look forward to in the
    hunt for more of your fantastic post. Additionally, I have shared your site in my social networks

5. Greetings from Los angeles! I’m bored at work so I decided
    to browse your blog on my iphone during lunch break.
    I really like the knowledge you present here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home.
    I’m amazed at how quick your blog loaded on my
    cell phone .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G ..
    Anyways, very good site!

6. Today, I went to the beachfront with my children. I found a sea shell and gave it
    to my 4 year old daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She placed the shell to her ear and screamed.
    There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.
    She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is completely off topic but I had to tell someone!